Screen printing may look quite hard, but once you get the hang of it, you will understand that it is actually an easy task. You can even set up screen printing machine in your home, and you don’t even need many materials to do that. Screen printing your shirts is one of the best DIY things as it is very easy to do them and you also get the satisfaction that you have done it with your hands. Being able to do screen printing at your home, you can try out various designs and experiment with lots of cloths.
Before starting with your screen printing, you will need the below things:
• Blank silkscreen mesh frame.
• Transparent paper and photo emulsion.
• Light bulb.
• Gloves and aprons to prevent ink from falling on you.
• Black fabric.
Burning the screen:
• First, you need to coat the silkscreen with the photo emulsion. You can do this by using a squeegee. Follow the instructions on the emulsion container and mix it accordingly. Once the mixture is ready, you need to apply it on the screen and make sure that you spread it evenly and coat the entire screen with photo emulsion. Now you need to follow the same procedure for the other side of the screen.
• Once you have applied the photo emulsion, you need to leave the screen to dry. You can set it in a dry room where there are no other disturbances. You can let it dry for a couple of hours. Make sure that you do not put the screen flat on the ground as the emulsion will stick on the ground.
• As the screen dries, you can focus on printing the design you want on the transparent paper. Pick your design and print it on the transparent paper by using a laser jet printer.
• Next, you need to set the light table. You need to turn down all the yellow lights in the room and position the light bulb directly on the table.
• Once the screen is dried, you need to place it on a frame in an upside down position and position it with the silkscreen. Now turn the light bulb and burn the screen for about 30 to 40 minutes. After the burning of the screen is done, you can place it back in normal lighting.
• After the burning procedure, you need to clean the screen with cool water. You need to make sure that you do not run off the screen while washing.
Printing the design:
Place your t-shirt on a flat surface, and you need to apply ink on one side of the screen. Let it dry for about 10 minutes and then carefully lift the screen and repeat the same procedure on the next side. Once it is dry, you will have your printed shirt ready.